Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sketchy Stuff in Bedford

Eccentricity has nothing on Flannery O'Connor.  First of all, I know the kids don't pick their own names, but Flannery? What is a Flannery? And in the biography of Ms. O'Connor, her works are described as presenting "complex experiences that cannot be tidily summarized".  That was the highly-phrased statement of the textbook.  Secondly, what villain is called 'The Misfit'?  It sounds like an unknown toy Santa named the Island of Misfit Toys after.  Strangely though, I liked "A Good Man Is Hard To Find".  It was a little obvious from the attention the grandmother gave the criminal that later in the story there would be an encounter, and the circumstances that brought the family and the gang together were very mundane, but once the car crashed, I watched the action unfold in a black-and-white-Hitchcock-scene in my mind's eye.  The attention to detail is magnificent.  I was highly impressed with how well O'Connor carried the creepy tone throughout the story, even before the criminals were present.

No comments:

Post a Comment