"I'll be Nora."
Famous last words! Before reading Ibsen's "A Doll's House", our group chose parts. I had no idea Nora, the wife, was the main character and had lines the whole time. What was more surprising was how fickle Nora is. A few times our whole group would pause and burst out laughing because of the childlike forgetfulness and frivolity of Helmer's wife. We also laughed at the per names Torvald has for his wife: 'squirrell' and 'lark'. The nicknames are fitig though, as Nora is constantly talking (like an annoying bird) and can never stay still (like a bushy-tailed squirrell).
What I don't understand about Nora is her need to prove herself mature and capable to everyone around her. If she had any common sense, she would be a very competent woman; however, she puts herself in situations above her head, thinks herself so clever, and then realizes how deep she dug her hole. She frustrates me a lot. What frustrates me even more is the appeal Nora has for others. Torvald adores her and is wrapped sound her little finger, Dr. Rank is pining for her, and her friend Kristine, who is steady and hardworking and good, comes to Nota for help. I guess the reason is since I'm reading the play, I can see all the interactions Nora has; the characters in the story don't see her many sides.
No comments:
Post a Comment