Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Crime and Punishment

I don't know about, you, but I really like Crime and Punishment.  Yes, it's difficult to read with the incredible details and plethora of Russian names that are hard to keep straight, but the plot is awesome! I'm usually into happy stories with happy endings, but how Dostoevsky explores the psyche intrigues me.  Raskolnikov is an ordinary young man struggling to make it on his own in the world.  Like many people, he views himself superior to others, even if he doesn't flaunt it; he is plagued by the injustice and imbalance in the world, and tries to make it right himself (by killing Ivanovna); he is indecisive in his actions as he executes his plan.  I know it sounds bad, but I connected to Raskilnikov (not because I plan on killing an old lady, or anyone) because Dostoevsky made him a universal character.  The protaganist has wants, needs, biases, weaknesses, self-doubt, and love.  The book is also very intense- Raskilnikov's dream sequence and the murder of the sisters was gruesome, but not over the top.  All in all, I'm fascinated to know how it ends!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting how, like you said, Raskolnikov believes that he is the most important thing in the world, but also believes that others should think that they are the most important thing in the world too, like he says about his sister.

    ReplyDelete